- Chelsea Perkins is a senior at James Madison University expected to graduate in December 2012.
- She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communications as well as Communication Studies and will receive a Bachelor of Arts in both majors.
- She is a highly motivated student seeking an internship position for Summer 2011 that will allow her to use her strong media skills in parallel with her communication skills and learned strategies of effective public relations
- Introduction to Corporate Communication
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Mass Communication Law
- News Reporting and Writing
- Topics of Media Arts & Design
- Interpersonal Communication
- Verbal and Nonverbal Communication
- Presentational Speaking
Related skills & Practices
- Examined new social media used for corporate communication and how to strategize, plan, and employ such media to build effective relationships with internal and external constituent groups
- Created a personal and group blog focusing on social media, specifically in the nonprofit industry and food and beverage industry -incorporating an Ebook using Adobe Illustrator, and an authentic header using Adobe Illustrator
- Efficient in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Familiar with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Dreamweaver, and the effective ways to use PowerPoint
LeadershIP & INVOLVEMENT
- Honor Council Goal Agenda, Sigma Sigma Sigma
- Social Chairman, Madison Dance Club
- Fitness Instructor, James Madison University Recreation Center
- Dance choreographer, Greek Sing Dance
- In high school, I was Class President for my first three years, and Student Government President my senior year.
- Established an Operation Smile Club at my high school that is still running today.
- Waitress, Oceans & Ale: Jun 2010-present
- Sales Associate, Under Armour: Jun 2010-present
- Banquet Server, Ford’s Colony Country Club: May 2008-present
- Beverage Cart Server, Ford’s Colony Country Club: May 2008-present
- JMU Group Fitness Instructor March 2010-present
- I created a SMAD Banner that represents the Media Arts & Design program
- I created a 6 page mock magazine entitled, Running, using Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator.
- I worked on a collaborative blog, Restauranteurs, focusing on how to use social media effectively in the restaurant industry.
- In the Restauranteurs blog we embedded an original podcast. (Click Play). podcast
- Writing samples including: a Press Release and an effective communications plan during a Crisis
- I have been a dancer since I was four years old, and I am currently on JMU’s Madison Dance Club. Having much experience as a dancer, I volunteered my time to choreograph a dance for my sorority as we participated in Greek Sing. Greek Sing is an annual philanthropic event in which each sorority and fraternity creates a themed dance routine, a synchronized hand movement routine, decorative props, and a singer(s). This year, I created the dance routine for Sigma Sigma Sigma, and our theme was Sigmonopoly (like the Monopoly game). I not only choreographed, but I am also a dancer in this piece. It took much dedication, organization, and TIME. Enjoy.
Personal interest in philanthropy
- In 2007, traveled to Limerick, Ireland for a Student Shared Leadership Conference
- In 2008, traveled to San Diego, CA for a Student Shared Leadership Conference
- In 2008, traveled to Quanxi, China with an Operation Smile missions team as a Student Educator
- Since 2008, I have participating in Relay 4 Life, the 24-walk to fight cancer because “cancer never sleeps”
- I’ve participated in numerous running races from 5Ks to Half Marathons supporting Breast Cancer, local philanthropies, Lou Gehrigs disease (ALS), Wide life Preservation, and more.
- “Chelsea really brings energy to the team. She is a hard-worker and takes initiative for the team. And customers love her!” -John Wagner of Oceans & Ale comments on Chelsea’s interpersonal skills while being a waitress
- “Chelsea is a dedicated person, not just as an employee, but to whatever she is doing. She is very involved on campus, and she still manages to juggle everything with good time management” -Alice Riley-Ryan, fellow employee at UREC and member of Madison Dance.
- perkince [at] dukes [dot] jmu [dot] edu
Want to download a print version of my resume? click HERE